The Maine Drug Data Hub is the State of Maine’s one stop shop for substance use and substance use disorder data. The website is developed and managed by the Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center. Contained on the website are newly released monthly overdose reports as well as quarterly and annual drug death reports compiled by Dr. Marcella Sorg. Please visit: www.mainedrugdata.org for the most up-to-date and complete data regarding fatal and nonfatal drug overdoses in the state of Maine.
Drug Overdose Deaths in Maine
Purpose and Methodology:
This website provides a summary of statistics regarding drug fatalities in Maine. Data for this website were collected at the Office of Chief Medical Examiner. A drug death is identified when one or more drugs are mentioned on the death certificate as a cause or significant contributing factor for the death. These data do not include deaths caused by alcohol only.
*Note: this website is under development and will eventually feature an interactive Tableau data dashboard.
For more drug data in Maine, please visit the Maine Drug Data Hub, a collaboration between the University of Maine and various state departments and offices.
Drug Overdose Deaths Occurring in Maine by Year Including Totals for Deaths Caused by Pharmaceutical and Non-Pharmaceutical (Illicit) Drugs, 1997-2020
Number of drug-induced deaths in Maine, with subtotals for deaths caused by any pharmaceutical drugs and for deaths caused by any illicit (non-pharmaceutical) drugs. Most deaths are caused by more than one drug. Pharmaceutical and illicit drugs may be combined to cause death.
- Maine Monthly Overdose Report for May 2021 (pdf)
- Maine Monthly Overdose Report for April 2021 (pdf)
- Maine Monthly Overdose Report for March 2021 (pdf)
- Maine Monthly Overdose Report for February 2021
- Maine Monthly Overdose Report for January 2021 (pdf)
- Maine Drug Death Report, 2020 (pdf)
- Maine Drug Death Report, 2019
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2018
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2017
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2016
- Drug-Induced Deaths in Maine 1997-2008 with Estimates for 2009
- The Cost of Alcohol and Drug Abuse in Maine, 2015
- Eyes Open for ME Overdose Prevention & Education Website
- Maine Drug Data Hub
- OD-ME University of Maine Overdose Prevention & Education App (Apple)
- OD-ME University of Maine Overdose Prevention & Education App (Android)
- Know Your OPTIONS
- Substance Use Disorder Virtual Recovery Supports during COVID-19