The Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center conducts nationally recognized policy research and participates in public service at the state and local level.
- Civic Life and Government
- Energy & Environment
- Health & Public Safety
- Maine’s Economy
- Impacts of Trans Pacific Partnership
- Economy of the forest products sector
- Economic analysis of education investments in Maine
- Fiscal implications of inadequate saving for retirement
- Poverty in Maine
We frequently partner and collaborate with other UMaine departments as well as with Maine colleges, universities, foundations, and private and public stakeholders, often crossing local, state, and federal policy boundaries, and providing an interdisciplinary approach to addressing policy concerns. Center staff often serve as catalysts for public policy development through research projects, program design and evaluation, and the facilitation and convening of public forums.