Drug Overdose Deaths in Maine
Drug Overdose Deaths Occurring in Maine by Year Including Totals for Deaths Caused by Pharmaceutical and Non-Pharmaceutical (Illicit) Drugs, 1997-2019:
Number of drug-induced deaths in Maine, with subtotals for deaths caused by any pharmaceutical drugs and for deaths caused by any illicit (non-pharmaceutical) drugs. Most deaths are caused by more than one drug. Pharmaceutical and illicit drugs may be combined to cause death.
Analysis and Patterns
Fentanyl and fentanyl analogs are increasingly impacting drug-overdose deaths
Total drug deaths with subtotals for the number of deaths due to heroin/morphine and non-pharmaceutical fentanyl and/or its analogs. Although separate totals are provided for heroin/morphine and fentanyl/fentanyl analog fatalities, many deaths include both drug categories.
The impact of pharmaceutical opioids as a percentage of total drug related deaths has decreased over time
Comparison of the number of deaths due to pharmaceutical versus total opioids, alone or in combination with other drugs and/or alcohol.
- Maine Drug Death Report, 2019
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2018
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2017
- Expanded Maine Drug Death Report, 2016
- Drug-Induced Deaths in Maine 1997-2008 with Estimates for 2009
- The Cost of Alcohol and Drug Abuse in Maine, 2015
- Eyes Open for ME Overdose Prevention & Education Website
- Maine Drug Data Hub
- OD-ME University of Maine Overdose Prevention & Education App (Apple)
- OD-ME University of Maine Overdose Prevention & Education App (Android)
- Know Your OPTIONS
- Substance Use Disorder Virtual Recovery Supports during COVID-19
Purpose and Methodology:
This website provides a summary of statistics regarding drug fatalities in Maine. Data for this website were collected at the Office of Chief Medical Examiner. A drug death is identified when one or more drugs are mentioned on the death certificate as a cause or significant contributing factor for the death. These data do not include deaths caused by alcohol only.
*Note: this website is under development and will eventually feature an interactive Tableau data dashboard.
For more drug data in Maine please visit the Maine Drug Data Hub, a collaboration between the University of Maine and various State departments and offices.