Research, Programs & Public Service
What We Do
The Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center staff conduct nationally recognized policy research and participate in public service and policy issues at the state and local level.
- Civic Life and Government
- Community & Economic Development
- Economic analysis of education investments in Maine
- English learner curricula (Project Reach)
- Energy & Environment
- Health & Public Safety
- Forensic standards for scene processing
- Substance abuse epidemiology
Our work frequently includes partnerships and collaboration with other UMaine departments as well as with Maine colleges, universities, foundations, and private and public stakeholders, often crossing local, state, and federal policy boundaries, and providing an interdisciplinary approach to addressing policy concerns.
Center staff often serve as catalysts for public policy development through research projects, program design and evaluation, and the facilitation and convening of public forums. Please contact us for more detail on any particular area of interest.